The Acanthus Group recently completed restoration of all eleven windows on the front façade of the George Hatch House. Currently owned by Hatch’s Folly, LLC, the residence is located on “Millionaire’s Row” in the Dayton Street Historic District of Cincinnati, OH. Constructed in 1850 – 51, the house at one time served as home of George Hatch, mayor of Cincinnati from 1861 – 63. The Ohio Historical Society states that the house “is a rare example of the work of Isaiah Rogers, one of America’s leading mid-19th century architects.” According to the Ohio Historical Society, the Hatch House is one of the few surviving Rogers homes known to exist. The Hatch House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places both individually and as a contributing part of the Dayton Street Historic District.
Years of neglect and poorly executed repairs caused the sash to severely deteriorate. Matters were further complicated because eight of the windows were located in the curved bays of the front façade and therefore the faces of the windows were curved as well. New curved panes of glass had to be fabricated to replace those that were cracked. Wooden elements of the sashes such as stiles and rails too damaged to be saved were remilled, and the sashes were reconstructed. Other repairs were executed through the use of epoxy consolidants and fillers.
The Acanthus Group has just completed the restoration of a home significantly damaged by fire. Located in Camp Dennison outside of Cincinnati, OH, the home was constructed in 1865, using lumber recycled from the Civil War barracks nearby.
The Acanthus Group was hired to perform the reconstruction to maintain the historical integrity of the house, as well as managing the other subcontractors. A large portion of the home was lost in the fire; we were responsible for reconstructing those areas as they were. This involved substantial structural work, including replacing sill plates and introducing laminated veneered beams into the framing system of the house. The Acanthus Group was also responsible for finding flooring that matched the original random width white pine and producing architectural millwork such as window sash, doors, and trim that was the same as what was installed nearly 145 years ago.
Lastly, The Acanthus Group was hired for our willingness to “go green” with the project. It is important not only from a historical perspective but also an environmental one to salvage and reuse as much of the original building materials as possible. During the course of the project, all construction waste and debris such as metal, copper, and cardboard was recycled. The house was thoroughly insulated and a geothermal heating and cooling system installed, for energy efficiency. Finally, the house was sided using a cement board product that mimicked the look of wood clapboards but had far less impact on the environment.